Friday, July 24, 2009

Movie Ruiners!

Ever since I knew the date of the release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I had been jazzed. Harry Potter was the first series I had fallen in love with in a long time. I started reading HP for a project in my Young Adult Lit. class my sophomore year of college (2002) . I was hesitant but a friend said "they aren't too bad" so I picked up the 3rd one, The Prisoner of Azkaban, started reading and never looked back. I was like a starved crazy animal devouring each of the books within days. I skipped meals, ignored calls/people, heck I even called off work at my waitress's job one afternoon. I was in the bookstore every other day buying the books, and fallen further and further into the magical world of Harry Potter.

I have gone on opening day to see each of the films, and then several other times before it leaves the theatre. I am such a die hard that I bought a boot leg version of GOF in NYC, got it home and stopped watching 10 minutes into it because I felt guilty! Like Harry or Mrs.Weasley would be upset because it wasn't the "actual" DVD. So when I saw the trailer for HBP I was so excited! Then I realize I am on vacation on the release date, DRAT! So I decide to wait and go on the following Sunday with my dad. We have a little tradition with HP. No one else will go with my but my dad. LOL. We arrive 15 min early to our little theatre in town, get our snacks, and head in. I am doubly pumped because I've heard the New Moon trailer is playing before HP.
The lights grow dim, people are "shhhhhing" each other. Im wiggling in my seat thinking "oh man -This is it. This is what I've waited months, years to see! Not to mention R-Pats and Taylor Lautner on the big screen and in all their hawtness!"
First preview-heck I can't even tell you what it was. The next preview comes and goes and then the next. Then the big WB symbol and the beginning of HP are on the screen. I turn to my dad and say out loud in my outside voice "WHAT THE?!" My dad looks alarmed, and says "whats the matter?" I reply with "where's the new moon trailer!?" He explained to me that it wasn't going to show obviously because we are watching HP by now.

I relax, he's right we are watching Harry Potter and the HBP. Ok this is still going to be awesome. I noticed upon entering the theatre it was pretty full. So naturally, 5 children are sitting behind us. They are so excited about their popcorn its all they talk about. Im talking non stop chatter. Then they discover one of them has a squeaky chair. They all take turns playing in the squeaky chair. So I have a raging conversation about how awesome their popcorn is, and a squeaky chair going off like a fire alarm. Now, I am normally a laid back person, not one for violence. But I was ready to clobber those children with their own shoes. They were ruining the movie for me and the people around us. This latest 3/4 of the film. Then towards the end at the crucial moment a cell phone goes off and its the woman 4 seats down from me. This ringer startled everyone in the theatre. She then proceeds to have a conversation with the genius who called her while she was in a movie. I was about to flip my lid when I realized the show was over.
We left, and I eventually calmed down. I still enjoyed Harry Potter and the HBP but not the way I wanted. The film was amazing. It captured the key emotions that were expressed in the book and all the havoc that is being unleashed on the wizarding world. I can't wait until HP and the Deathly Hallows pt 1 is released. I do believe the best is yet to come!
The whole experience reminded me why I go to the later showings and why some animals eat their young. (HAHA-JK I love kids! Most anyways. )
Sorry for the little rant, but had to share with those who I feel will understand where I'm coming from on this. So, thanks for listening! And please remember-it takes many calls to make a movie and only one to ruin it. So please no calls or texts during the show. (that is the message that plays at the theatre before each movie) Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment